Struggling with Sleep
From time to time we may find ourselves experiencing some form of sleep disturbance but chronic sleep issues are no laughing matter one of the emerging causes of poor sleep correlates with increased smartphone and tablet use, as use increases our restorative sleep decreases – The blue light emitted by smartphones and tablets simulates daylight, inhibiting the brain’s production of melatonin, the hormone that helps us fall asleep and stay asleep, and while this is a new cause of poor sleep there are many others:
Common causes of sleep issues
- Too much noise to fall asleep
- Consumption of caffeine or alcohols before bed
- Poor sleep habits (irregular bedtimes, sleep-ins or naps – no consistency)
- Certain medications that disrupt sleep
- Kidney or bladder disorders
- Depression, Anxiety, Stress or Worry
- Pain or chronic health issues impairing sleep
Our minds and bodies can recover quickly from the odd sleepless night however miss a few nights in a row or get less than 6 hours per night on a regular basis and your immune, respiratory, cardiovascular, endocrine and digestive system take a hit along with your mental clarity and acuity.
Natural ways to help with sleep – (first identify the cause)
- Go to bed at a regular time (e.g – if you have to be up at 6.30am, go to bed at 10.00pm and give yourself 30 to “wind down” turn off electronics and wifi an hour before going to bed)
- Wash off the stress of the day – have a relaxing bath or shower before bed (add essential oils of chamomile or lavender to aid relaxation)
- Drink a sleep tea an hour before bed – blends of chamomile, passionflower, hops, and valerian are excellent sleep aids
- Don’t eat big meals before bed, try and eat 3 hours before bedtime
- Try meditation before bed or go to bed early enough to clear your mind before sleep
- Try our natural sleep herb formula if you need help dropping off to sleep – especially helpful if you have lots of thoughts racing around in your head (to get them out – write them out)
- Magnesium and Melatonin are also very helpful to help induce a deeper more restorative sleep and lengthen your sleep cycle (take 1 hour before bed – and practice good sleep hygiene habits)
- If there is too much noise pollution – invest in earplugs or use white noise to drown it out.
- If pain or stress is keeping you awake- this needs to be addressed – please contact one of our Naturopaths to find a solution that suits you.
- Gentle exercise 2 hours before bed can help relieve stress and tension aiding sleep onset.
For more help and guidance regarding your particular sleep issues please call Orange Health to speak with one of our experienced Naturopaths – better sleep is only a phone call away.