SCL and Aotea Pathology Blood Testing Service
Naturopaths order the same standard blood tests that you get at your medical doctor. These tests are often a great first step in assessing your general level of health and where any problems might be. They’re usually less expensive than some of the more focused tests, and can guide the direction we take your treatment in. Some tests are used to diagnose disease or illness, and other are used to monitor how well your body is responding to treatment.
We work alongside SCL blood testing services located in most main centres around New Zealand. In some case we use Aotea Pathology. Either way this will be made clear to you at the time of your appointment. We supply the lab form. You will pay for your blood tests at the laboratory. The results will be sent to us to analyse and the results discussed with you either by email or at you next appointment. ‘Manage my health’ is great service for people to collect relevant data in one place. Any testing you have done in the recent past is really valuable to us so we can look at your case in a holistic manner.
Some of the more common tests we order include:
- TSH to test for thyroid hormone levels – too high or too low
- Full Iron Studies – tells us how well you iron is processed and stored
- CRP, ESR – Inflammatory markers
- CBC – complete blood count. Lets us know how many red and white blood cells you have, and can point to things like anaemia or infection.
- FBG & HgA1c – fasting blood glucose A1c. These are markers of diabetes
- LFT – helps us understand what your liver is doing
Which tests we order, if any, will depend on your specific symptoms and our best clinical judgement. We only order tests that we deem necessary to help you reach your health goals as quickly and safely as possible.
We use these lab tests to help get a picture of what’s going on inside your body at a molecular level we also offer tests that most other health care providers don’t- which is great for you! These are helpful in figuring out what’s at the root cause of your illness and coming up with a diagnosis and treatment plan!
Why use our pathology testing service?
Because the results remove the guesswork – we offer a range of test options that will help us diagnose exactly what your body needs.
These testing options below and more are available. During your initial appointment your Naturopath will work with you to establish what is the most appropriate testing for you. The following tests are additional to the price of your initial consultation. Most of these tests can be done from home via a simple urine sample or in the case of hair samples we can do this for you. Blood samples with be taken at your nearest laboratory.
- Intestinal Permeability more commonly known as leaky gut
- Comprehensive SIBO test
- Sleep profile
- Cortisol pattern
- Extensive Thyroid hormone profile
- Female Hormone Profile
- Male Hormone Profile
- Candida Antibodies
- Cardiovascular profile
- Inflammation markers
- Tumour Markers
- Parasite analysis
- Coeliac Testing
- And more
HTMA – What is Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis (HTMA)?
Why test for minerals?
Minerals are essential for growth, healing, vitality and wellbeing. They provide structural support in bones and teeth, and they maintain the body’s pH and water balance, nerve activity, muscle contractions, energy production and enzyme reactions. They are the basic ‘spark plugs’ of life.
Ideally we should get all the minerals we need from a balanced diet. Unfortunately today this is rarely possible. Modern farming techniques, fertilisers and depleted soils reduce the mineral content of foods. Environmental pollutants, chemical food additives and stressful lifestyles also have a detrimental effect on our nutritional status.
Many health conditions are aggravated by mineral imbalances and toxic metal excesses, including cardiovascular disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, migraines, learning difficulties and hyperactivity in children, to name just a few. Consequently, we need to test and monitor our nutritional status more than ever.
Benefits of HTMA
- Safe, scientific, non-invasive pathology test
- Reliable data on more than 35 nutrient & toxic minerals, and over 25 mineral ratios
- Valuable health information often not revealed in standard blood and urine tests
- Discovery of nutrient mineral imbalances or toxic mineral excesses that may be affecting your health
- Interpretive test reports that assess your current mineral status, highlighting areas of concern and recommended dietary changes
- HTMA is regarded as one of the most valuable screening tools available in everyday and preventative health care
Email or phone us to find out more about how to proceed with the HTMA testing service